We Are So Blessed!!!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My little Breaker!!

Woot! Maletch will excitedly tell you about his breakdancing class! I HAD to enroll him since he has been showing off his "breakdance moves" everywhere we go from Disneyland to the fourth of July event!

He has seen a lot of styles of dance, but that is his favorite and the style that he always tries to imitate. Anytime someone does any breakdance moves, you'll see Maletch light up and he'll exclaim, "Wow, he's good!" It always really impresses him. It happens to be one of the most difficult styles to do too, since breakdancing is actually a mixture of Hip Hop dance and Gymnastics (you are often supporting your entire body weight, suspended in the air- in weird positions with one or both hands on the ground) and it is very technical.
It is definitely not something a 5 yr old can "pick up" by just casually watching, but Maletch sure does try, he gets on the floor and does his best moves and says, "Look mommy, I'm breakdancing!" It sure is cute, because he really gets into it!

So I finally did a little homework and found an awesome professional studio with some highly awarded breakdance and hip hop instructors.
He had his first class today and we loved his instructor! I was impressed with the advanced technical level they got into on the FIRST day!
They started off with a stylish but simple "toprock", then into the VERY tricky "6 step!" Hehe, I know these terms because ---don't laugh-- yes mommy knows how to break dance!! And yes, daddy does too :)
Maletch is the youngest in the class (most are 7-8) so that might explain the advanced technical stuff right out of the gate. Maletch did struggle to pick up the crossover moves, which are difficult for adults to do! It is difficult because it feels unnatural when you are on the ground, you have to support your weight on your hands and are crossing your legs around and under you. I know he'll get it with some practice, and he nailed the toprock!

The studio has a window that parents can watch- and Sariah and I definitely wanted to watch anyway-- good thing too- since the studio is so far away from home- we would never be able to drive home and back before practice is over. I really liked how professionally set up it is.

Sariah is sooooo FUNNY! I told her where we were taking Maletch and she said, "I want to go to dance school too." When I told her mommy and Sariah would watch Maletch, she said, "I want SARIAH to dance in school and learn moves too!"
Well, I gave her the wrong idea, when I told her that maybe she could go to a different class later-- she took me literally- as soon as Maletch got out of class- it WAS later- and she was ready for Sariah's class!! OMGOSH, she was upset because she felt I lied or tricked her. then I had to explain later meaning another day. I felt pretty bad for her since she wanted to participate so badly and she could see through two windows into two rooms FULL of kids dancing and having fun!
Funny, John and I were talking about how really when parents put kids under 3 in sports or dance-- it is really mostly for the parents since the kids are really too young to really want it for themselves or really even understand the instructions for most.... WELL Sariah will be the EXCEPTION to that rule- since she REALLY wants to go. I am trying to decide between Prima Ballerina (watching her twirl in a tutu would be super cute) or letting her take Hip Hop in her age group (which is more her style of dancing and more fun).
We are leaning towards the Ballet since next year, when she is 3, I would definitely want to put her in her genre of music and dance (so she would really enjoy it)- and maybe take advantage while she is 2 to get those tutu videos! :)
Only drag is that the kids classes will be on different days- which means TWO trips a week to the studio- in addition to my busy schedule!
I am very much looking forward to their recitals!
Yep a break dancing recital- woot! Go b-boy!!
It was cute, the last few minutes of class the kids got to "freestyle dance" meaning do whatever you want and Maletch did his normal showoff moves (which John and I see as "breakdancing adjacent"- but of course not actually correct) which is why I knew he would love this class. I knew he would love to be taught the breakdown of the actual moves...
SO I was surprised when a crowd formed at Maletch's class window (time for the next class) at how many kids and parents were pointing him out and talking about him (saying he was good and must have had a lot of classes). I thought that was cute since it was his first day, and the moves he was doing were ones he made up on his own at home, and his imitation of breakdance moves he's seen. They really weren't actual breakdance moves. Maybe all of those nice people didn't realize it wasn't actually correct or maybe Maletch is better than we think, hehe! I was sure to tell Maletch the compliments that Sariah and I heard :)
Meanwhile, I better brush up on my B-girl moves, like the 6-step, so I can help Maletch practice, haha- this will be fun for mommy and daddy too!!
I had my camera but I didn't take any video/pics. I wanted to, but I figured they wouldn't come out very well though the glass. I will maybe try to get a few next week.

No comments: