We Are So Blessed!!!

Friday, January 30, 2015

Another Fun Friday Post...this time Science!


How would you like to do a science project that involved eating lots of cookies??
Yep that's how my kids felt too! Actually they love science projects even without cookies, but this project looked like too much fun to pass up!
As we came to the end of our unit study on owls, we transitioned into a small study of the moon. Kids are naturally fascinated and curious about that circle in the sky that is sometimes a crescent or some other odd shape. They have asked countless questions about it, so I was glad that the moon tied in nicely to our owl study. One of our books in our unit study was called "Owl Moon" and also since owls are nocturnal (see what I did there, hehe) and additionally this serves as the perfect segue into our next unit study (beginning on Monday) which will go more in depth into astronomy (constellations and more)- I love it when a plan comes together :)
What the heck do cookies have to do with this? Well, we used Oreo cookies to create our "Phases of the Moon" Chart!! The kids each used 8 cookies- WAIT.... they ate how many?? Dang!
Oh well, it was for science, right?
I know you want to sign up for our school now too right? Yeah I didn't do awesome stuff like that in first grade either- our school rocks!!

Look at my little cookie monsters- er, I mean "scientists"!

For the first time in our house, there was very little talking, say what? Yep, just a lot of eating and concentration.
That is... until these two got all hopped up on sugar, then they were all loud and crazy- haha!


Here are both of their completed charts!


The best part: they learned quite a bit from our little study too! I was quite impressed with some of the things Maletch retained (I really love it when they tell me facts they know)!

If you would like to do this project, you can get the printable for the chart on Teachers Pay Teachers (I will add a link shortly)... also you can find many wonderful "phases of the moon" resources on spaceracers.org including a "flip book" so check it out (I will add a link).
If you are interested in doing our entire Unit Study, or would like to know about the other projects we did, or would like to see inside our Lapbook- I am happy to share, just let me know.

Stay Tuned.. we will be posting a new Craft Tutorial video very soon!! Watch for it on our YouTube channel!! A few teasers: Grown ups will love this project! You will find it very versatile! It can be used alone as a high-end home decor look - to a cute thing you can do with your owls (if you made some of those) and many other uses... that's all I'm saying... you'll have to watch!

No comments: