We Are So Blessed!!!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Scrapbook Design Contest!!

I am so excited to be entered in my first scrapbook design contest- YAY! I am competing against so many talented designers from all over the world, so of course I don't expect to win- I am just excited to be a part of it! I do really want that amazing prize though- hehe!! It is "The Ultimate Designer Challenge" which they are doing kind of like a reality show where it will run for 6 weeks- the judges will "cut" people each week until it will be down to 2 designers for the final challenge! So fun- right??
Each week they will give specific techniques and requirements that we must incorporate into our project design.

Week One:
The first challenge was really 2 parts: to create a multi-dimensional embellishment from a die cut
to be used in a project (so make the embellishment and make a project using that embellishment). These were some of the rules:
  • You must use either a die cut paper or a piece of chipboard as your base shape
  • You must turn that die cut/chipboard into a dimensional (layered) usable embellishment
  • You must use at least TWO art mediums (gesso, gels, glazes, paints etc)
  • Your final piece must be showcased on a scrapbook page (layout), card or other altered item 
So for my embellishment, I decided to use a die cut snowflake as my base shape. I cut it from cardboard that I peeled to get the corrugated texture. I had so much fun using lots of art mediums on this. First I used Gesso, then sprayed Glimmer Mists, then added some Anthology Paint, then Crackle Paint, then added some German glass glitter and beads for more texture.
I wrapped a strand of translucent pearl beads around the tips, added 2 stick pins, and then punched a small hole for a jump ring for the chandelier bead dangle, and then topped it off with the metal snowflake in the center. These pics don't capture all of the bling and dimension- in real life this is so shiny and textured!

 
Click on any photo to enlarge.
 Once enlarged, you can use your right/left arrows to see all photos enlarged.
 

For my layout, I made a few other embellies too:
I made some Frosted Branches out of twigs using Colorfill (vase filler beads), german glass glitter, and diamond dust.
I also made a Poinsettia out of a metal sheet which I die cut, embossed, and sanded. I curled the petals and added gold beads for the center.

Although we were given ample time, I had such a crazy week- so I didn't begin until I only had a few hours left- YIKES! So after making all of the embellies (which took up most of the time)- I had to really RUSH the layout. Since time was running out- I threw this together rather quickly! I ran out of time before I could add my "title" and few extra touches- but it was "Time is Up"- gasp-  just like on the shows, hehe! So I submitted it - as it is here..

 
I won't get points off or anything- since it didn't require a title- and nobody knows it was incomplete *except me.* I will add the title "Eyes Full of Wonder" and a few other things to finish this off (for myself- since it is too late for the contest). After I add the finishing touches, I can take a new photo and share it- if any of you want to see.
 
 
Here is a close up of the embossed metal poinsettia that I made
 
 
Close up of the Frosted Branches that I made
 
I had so much fun with the first challenge- I hope I make it to the next round!! I will find out in a few hours- fingers crossed! Wish me luck!!

No comments: